Week 9 – Recording and more Editing

As I was unhappy with the rough idea for the beginning of the soundscape, I have decided this week to record the guitar part myself. This was done by learning the intro to ‘The Star Spangled Banner’ on my guitar and then using an SM57 on the cab an inch away from the speaker cone to capture the sound. It took around three takes to settle on deciding that the third take was good enough to work behind the audio samples at the start. The rest of this week was once again spent making sure my music sounded right in each of the movements and changing different levels. As the end of the project is coming closer I am hoping to start mixing next week and this will leave me a bit of time before the deadline to master the whole mix. I have been adding to my research area of the blog too this week and I feel that during this project I have learnt a lot about the history of the civil rights movement in America, not to mention learning a lot of how to integrate samples around music.

An example of the miking technique used for the guitar recording

I also spent time this week making sure that all the scripts I used in the narration were made visible in the ‘Supporting Materials’. This was to let people know what was recorded in the narration recordings and what was used and what wasn’t in the final piece. The research from the four main people used in this project was used for the script writing process and it helped me gain a better understanding when it came to piecing together different samples edits. There are just a few sound effects that I need to put into project in the upcoming week which will hopefully really bring the soundscape to life, then it is a case of adding processing to certain tracks and using panning to create a good stereo field within the soundscape. I have learnt that a lot goes into the production of a soundscape, much more than I imagined before starting this project.