Week 1 – Gathering of ideas and research

In the opening week of my audio project I have been gathering ideas together and research material to enable me to make a good start to the African-American civil rights movement soundscape. During this planning stage I have been looking at the four main people that I will be centering my soundscape around and their role during the civil rights movement and if and how they supported or opposed the movement. I have made the decision to start the piece with either a prayer or a poem being read with the sound of a civil rights rally going on in the background, at the moment I have been looking at poems written about the civil rights movement. This week I also used the multitrack studio to record some drum samples that I could maybe use at some point on the project, the samples recording session involved me playing the drums and recording drum hits while a fellow course mate (Philip Rollett) engineered the session. As this project needs to have a good understanding of the history of the civil rights movement, this week was spent compiling together a lot of ideas about how I would approach the soundscape.