Week 6 – Narration

As narration is going to play a big part in telling the story in my soundscape, week 6 involved recording narration in the sound theatre. The narration was done by Oliver Dyson who is a student at the university and this week he recorded some parts for the JFK and Malcolm X parts of my audio project. I had previously compiled a script for Oliver to read and I recorded this in the ADR room of the sound theatre using a Rode NT-1A condenser microphone. This was the microphone I chose because I have had good results in the past when recording dialogue in other projects. The microphone has a cardioid polar pattern and it is renowned for its clarity and this was perfect for the narration.

Recording the narration with Oliver Dyson

During the recording session I asked Oliver to say each sentence three times as clear as he possibly could which would therefore enable me to choose between three different takes of the same sentence when it came to editing. After the session I felt that I had good enough material to take away and edit and I thanked Oliver for his time. Towards the end of this week I will be concentrating on editing the audio together to achieve a rough mix of the JFK movement. I will also make a start on the following movement which will tell the brief story of Malcolm X and his role within the African-American Civil Rights Movement.